Organization: North American Bear Center and Wildlife Research Institute
Number of Positions: 25 – 50
Reports to: Trish Kirk – Speakers Bureau Coordinator
As an advocate for black bears and a member of the Speakers Bureau, you will be delivering a pre-designed, 45-minute PowerPoint presentation entitled ‘Black Bears: Dispelling the Myths for Peaceful Coexistence’ to local schools, libraries, nature centers, and other community organizations. Your goal is to promote a welcoming, positive, and educational experience for all audiences. You will be provided with PowerPoint and text plus ongoing support.
- Promote your Speakers Bureau presentation to local venues and schedule appearances.
- As a representative of the NABC and WRI, provide the most professional experience possible – be prepared, arrive on time, treat all questions with respect, know how to handle questions to which you don’t know the answer, stay enthusiastic about your topic, and keep focus on topic.
- Stay current with NABC/WRI activities by reading daily updates as well as e-mails pertaining to Educational Outreach’s Speakers Bureau.
- Report all presentations, number of attendees, and hours spent each month to Speakers Bureau Coordinator.
- Distribute, collect, and submit audience feedback forms.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Better than average knowledge of bears and willingness to keep learning.
- Proven experience and confidence with public speaking and fielding questions.
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills.
- Access to laptop for presenting PowerPoint presentation.
- You may be asked to submit a 3-5 minute video of yourself presenting on black bears.
- Each presentation is one hour, plus travel-time and setup.
- Attending the initial training meeting during the 2012 Lilypad Picnic is encouraged, but not a prerequisite.